Tuesday 16 January 2007

New Hip Fitted


To keep you in the picture I am now back at home convalescing after having a replacement left hip operation in Yeovil hospital. I do not intend cover this any further as, although of great importance to me, I suspect it is of limited interest to everyone else. In practical terms I will not be travelling for 6 weeks so will be operating from my well equipped office at home.

The photo on the left shows the lovely bunch of flowers sent to me by the office. Also you will notice I was able to take up a life long ambition of playing the Triangle.

I went into hospital on Wednesday and had the operation that afternoon. I got out of bed on the Friday and put weight on the new hip. Saturday I was on sticks and Sunday I did stairs. I got home at mid-day on Monday so overall it was five nights. It is now Tuesday and my routine is ruled by my exercises which include regular walks of 200 metres or so.

The X-Rays are fascinating these days and have changed from the old film plates. The image now goes directly onto a scanner plate and so the surgeon brings up the image on a screen. You can then request to get a CD with your various images on to play at family film nights so that everyone can compare scars and operations.

Leaving hospital was a special occasion and so I wore my Errol Flynn Marina T-Shirt. This was personally signed by Patricia Flynn who was such a star when we visited port Antonio in Jamaica – more on her later!

Lastly a big ‘thank you’ to Graham Smibert, the surgeon, and all the team at Yeovil Hospital’s Kingston Wing. They were all tremendous and could not have done a better job!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Glad you had a successful op and the the NHS looked after you well. Enjoy the 'rest'. Love Kathy (wallis) and Mike (Christie)

Miss English said...

Hi Colin, really good news you are healthy and bouncing fit, Tiger away! I saw Country File yesterday and they had an interesting programme on a mad English Tradition of throwing a ladies hat into a crowd of men and then rugby stylee, trying to get to one of three pubs - invented by a De Mowbray - I thought of you!

Take care, please rest!!
Nicki Englishx