Wednesday 7 February 2007

Segway at work

I had my first experience of a Segway when Clipper Fleet visited the Kolina Marina in Hawaii in February 2003. The Marketing Department had one and I finally wore them down and they let me have a go. For those that don’t know about Segways they are scooters with the wheels abeam rather than in line ahead. They should fall over but this is the clever bit and they remain vertical by a clever system of gyros. To move forward you lean forward and off you go! To slow you lean backwards. Turning is done by a thumb control. Quite quickly you become like the Mecon* on a magic transporter, terrorizing other path users.
*That is the Mecon from Dan Dare in The Eagle for the junior generation

Now Segways are used by police and security guards and even the military. I note from their website you can now even get a 2 x 2 for cross country work or talking the baby to its crèche.

Apart from being fun, and guaranteeing that the owner the centre of attraction, they have the benefit that you can go on a 5 mile ‘walk’ on your Segway and take no exercise at all.

Segways come at a price and the website is careful not to explain just what price. For now I’ll stick to my bike but if anyone does go out and buy one ‘please can I borrow it?’
http://find.segway.com/

No comments: