Saturday 3 March 2007

T-Shirt: Glasgow 2014 Bid


I heard rumours about Glasgow bidding for the 2014 Commonwealth Games while I was in Singapore at a reception in given by the British High Commission to parade the Games baton on its way to Melbourne for the 2006 Games. The batten has a very busy programme as it visits all the competing Commonwealth countries in the four years between the Games – looking after it must be a fun job!

Since these whispers Glasgow has pulled out the stops and must now be one of the favourites for the Games. I was given this T-shirt in Jamaica where the Glasgow 2014 Bid Team visited to make their case to Jamaica and the other Commonwealth countries in the Caribbean. They based their presentation on Glasgow Clipper and the Clipper Race; an inspired and highly successful bit of promotion. Only when one becomes involved in these bids does one realise the scale of commitment by all the Candidate Cities.

The spirit and passion behind the Glasgow bid is infectious. Many of us now feel personally involved and I would love to see them win. …. and all they gave me was the T-shirt, which I briefly lent to Lucy for the photo.

No comments: